PROFILE OF STEPHEN GILL †††
Stephen Gill, an
expressive voice of
Stephen Gill has received awards and recognitions,† including† honorary doctorates† and Laureate Man of Letters† from† United† Poets Laureate International; Sahir Award of Honor† from Sahir Cultural Society,† Panjab, India; Plaque from the World Council of Asian Churches (Canada); Pegasus†† International Poetry for Peace Award (Poetry in the Arts, Inc., Texas,); The Best Poet of Peace Award †for the year 1993 from Roger Cable 11 (Canada);† Lifetime Achievement Award from South Asian Bible Church (Canada);† The Queenís Golden Jubilee Medal; Empowered Peace Poet Award from World Poetry Canada; and several moreÖ
He has been a judge for
poetry competitions, and evaluates dissertations of English Literature for
doctoral students of universities in
He is former††† president of Vesta
Publications Ltd.; the Canadian Authors Association (the
Stephen Gill is Poet Laureate
of Ansted University and an Adjunct Professor of
EAU.† He has appeared in prestigious
national and international reference books. Indira Kala Sangit University (IKSU)
officially established the Centre for Stephen Gill Studies on
*BOOKS BY STEPHEN GILL
---. Shrine, Rev. Ed.† Cyberwit Press
---. Songs Before Shrine: A† collection of the following four collections of poems:
††††† 1. Reflections & Wounds (poems) Hc. Vesta, 1978††††††††††††
†††† 2. The Dove of Peace (poems) Pb., MAF Press, NY 1989, 1993†††
†††† 3 Songs for Harmony (poems) Pb., Rose Shell Press, NJ, 1993
Shades (poems) Xavier's
---. Flashes (trilliums in haiku spirit)
--- The Flame.† This is the longest poem
ever written in English on modern terrorism. Two books of evaluation† have been published.
---Amputee : An epical poem about an abused
child. Stephen Gill believes that peace needs to be discussed from the view of
education, and education starts from the day a child enters the world. Parents
are the first educators of the child. This long poem is the result of the
authorís concerns about world peace.
* Lifeís Vagaries (short stories)††
*Why (a novel
*Immigrant (a novel)
*The Coexistence (a novel partly
*Simon & the Snow King (children story, Illust.)
*The Blessings of a Bird (children story, illust)
* Scientific Romances of H.G. Wells
* Six Symbolist Plays of Yeats †
*Political Convictions of G.B. Shaw
*The Discovery of
*Sketches of India (illust. Essays about
*English Grammar for Beginners †
* My Interviews & Prefaces
*For a Peaceful Future
A collection of quotes from Stephen Gillís prefaces, interviews, articles and other works, where
he explicates the multiple aspects of peace that has navigated his literary explorations
BOOKS IN URDU, PANJABI AND HINDI
* Aman Di Ghuggi (Poems in Panjabi language)
* Jazeera (poems in Urdu)
*Jazeera (poems in Hindi)
Poets of the Capital (
* Green Snow: Anthology of Canadian Poets of Asian Origin
* Anti-War Poems: Vol. 1
* Anti-War Poems: Vol. 2nd
* Vestaís Whoís Who of North American Poets (Vesta 1990)
TO BE RELEASED SHORTLY†
.*Inquiry into World Peace
A selection of essays by Stephen Gill about peace.† The selection includes
writers and peace, education for the global village, hunger and world peace,
some facts of militarism, Gandhian way to peace, Tolerance, and many more.
WORKS IN TRANSLATION
(poems in Panjabi). Translator: Dr. Mohinder Kaur Gill. Hc., Suchinton Prakashan,
-Awasi (Panjabi translation
of his novel Immigrant). Translator: Balbir Momi. Pb., Pal Pocket Books,
-Parwasi (translation of IMMIGRANT in Panjabi) Translators: Dr. N. Singh and S. Sarna. Pb., 1989. Vikendrit Group
-Reflexions Et Blessures (poems in French). Translator:†† Fr. Roland Hamel, Vesta, 1979.
- Altarul. (Shrine) Romanian language. Trasnlator: Professor †Dr. Olimpia Iacob
-Flacara† (The Flame) †Romanian language . Trasnlator: Professor †Dr. Olimpia Iacob
-COEXISTENŢA (Novel, The Coexistence.† Trasnlator: Professor †Dr. Olimpia Iacob )
--Several poems have been translated into German, Spanish,† Italian, and other languages
Stephen Gillís poetry and prose have appeared in more than five hundred publications, mostly in Canada, the United States and India. He has††† written and published book reviews, research papers on writers from the East and the West, and articles on world peace. He has† also written poetry in Urdu, Hindi and Panjabi. Some of his Urdu/Hindi poems have been put to music and performed by prominent singers. Those songs have been released in two CDís, titled AMAN (peace), and another CD is titled AMAN KI RAH (road to peace). The books of Dr. Stephen Gill are the subject of research by scholars of several universities for† doctoral dissertations.
BOOKS WHICH EVALUATE† THE WORKS BY STEPHEN GILL :
Glimpses. (a collection of
articles published in the print media). Ed. Hamadan Darwesh. Publisher:
2. Stephen Gill & His Works† (evaluation) by Dr. George Hines. Vesta (Canada);† authorspress (India)
3. Discovering Stephen Gill (anthology of research papers from various scholars and writers). Editor: Dr. N. Agrawal. A lecturer in English, prominent writer and literary critic of India. Publisher : authorspress, India.
4. The Poetic Corpus of Stephen Gill: An Assessment† by Dr. Sudhir Arora. Dr. Sudhir Arora, a lecturer of English Literature in India, is focusing only on The Flame, the longest poem in English on modern terrorism.† Dr. Sudhir Arora is a prominent name as a writer and literary critic. Sarup & Sons, India.
5. The Flame Unmasked. Several prominent university teachers of English have contributed scholarly papers to this book edited by another prominent scholar and a lecturer in English Dr. Sudhir Arora. MUST TO READ by scholars.† Prakash Book Dept., India.
(6). Stephen Gillís Poetry: A Panorama of World Peace.
Chief Editor: Prof. K.V. Dominic, Editor of †Indian Journal of Postcolonial Literatures. Prof. K.V. Dominic is a prominent poet and literary critic. He teaches English literature at Newman College in Kerala, India.
(7). Essays on the Poetry of Stephen Gill. Chief Editor:† Dr. Shaleen Singh, a poet, editor and literary critic. Summer 2010. Dr. Shaleen Singh edits Creative Saplings (www.creativesaplings.com).
(8).† An Interpretation of† Mind and Art of Stephen Gill. †Chief Editor: Dr.† Anuradha Sharma.
Sanbun Publishers, New Delhi, India, 2011. ISBN: 978-93-80213-50-7; Rs. 200.00, pb. email@example.com
(9.) A Selection of Stephen Gill's Interviews. Ed. Dr. Anuradha Sharma. Orientalia, A-4, B-49 Joshi Colony, Patparganj- delhi- 110092; firstname.lastname@example.org; ISBN; 978-81-908864-8-2, †
==FORTHCOMING BOOKS ON STEPHEN GILL
1. Finding Stephen Gill in the West. ( A collection of research papers, interviews and book reviews from the West.) Ed. Professor Dr. I.D. Tiwari, Dean Faculty of Arts, and† Head, Department of English, IKS Univesity, Chhattisgarh, India. Professor Tiwari has authored books and edited scholarly journals.
2. Critical Responses to the Coexistence (Novel)††
The Coexistence is a novel by Indo/Canadian poet and writer Dr. Stephen Gill.† Department of English of Indira Kala Sangeet University, Khairagarh, C.G. is bringing out this anthology. Ed. Dr. Manoj Kumar.††
3. War and Peace in the Works of Stephen Gill. Eds. Professor Dr. NDR Chandra and Dr. A.K. Choudhary
4. †Stephen Gillís Vision of a New World. ( Anthology) Editor, Dr. Vijay Kumar Roy.† Dr† Roy, author of books, †is head of the Dept. of English & Foreign Languages at SRM University, NCR Campus, India. He is associate editor of† Akshara (ISSN: 0975-5373), a research journal of English Literature & Language, and joint editor of Lapis Lazuli (ISSN: 2249 Ė 4529), an international literary journal (Online).†
--There is also a DVD of Stephen Gillís interviews on television, titled INTERVIEWS WITH DR. STEPHEN GILL. †He has discussed his books, art of writing and† message about peace in these interviews.†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††
--Several singers and musicians have performed his poems in Urdu and Hindi. Some of those songs appear in three full albums of Stephen Gillís poems sung by these singers. The titles of these albums:
1.. Aman (peace) by Khalid Saleem (A Canadian of Pakistani origin)
2. Aman Ki Rah (Way to Peace) by Shad ( from Pakistan)
3. Kholo Kholo ( open) by James Masih (from India)
†Box 32, Cornwall, Ont. K6H 5R9 Canada
SOME WEB SITES:
Nov. 20, 2012.†